Monday, December 21, 2009

CHRISTMAS DURING WORLD WAR TWO EPISODE TWO

The United Stated declared War in December 1941 after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I was four years old. I was visiting my grandparents in Marshalltown, Iowa for the holidays. I was spending the night with my mother's brother Bob and family. He was home on leave from the Army.

They were newly weds without any children yet. This was wartime and no lights could be turned on during the darkness of evening and nighttime. Most of my family hated this, but I lived in the country and we had no electricity only oil lamps and candles. I did not feel the terror that other city children felt during this time. It all felt natural to me. This was called "Black Out" and ordered by law.

2 comments:

  1. This is good reading please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing you stories Mom. I find it hard to fathom that you were alive then. Wow!

    ReplyDelete